Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Baby Talk...

Well, I went off of my birth control in April of 2009 because I knew getting pregnant was going to be a difficult task between my CF and Brian's previous chemotherapy treatments when he had testicular cancer in 2006. So giving my body enough time off of birth control would be one less thing hindering success of conception. Dr. K and I also had the "baby talk" today. Dr. K told me that if I wanted to become pregnant, I needed to gain weight, get my diabetes under control, and get my lung function at it's peak and to do it fast. And when he says fast, he means within the next 2 years. Only problem with that is, I still have a year and a half left of pharmacy school and I cannot imagine being pregnant with CF on my rotations. I am guessing that I wouldn't be the most pleasant person to be around if that becomes the case! haha BUT you gotta do what you gotta do right?

Brian and I have been together for 5 years come Jan 2010 and have been married for a year and a half. Of that year and a half he has been in Iraq for a year. Brian and I both have always wanted a child. To me having a baby would mean everything to me and I wouldn't even hesitate to risk my life to bring a healthy baby into this world. But to Brian, he doesn't even wanna consider pregnancy if it will cost me my life. I try to tell him that if something happens to me rather it be now or in the future at least there will be a beautiful child to carry on my memory. To me it's reality, to him it's painful to think about. And I completely understand, bc if I were in his shoes I would be the exact same way! So this is something we really have to talk about and we have to make a decision pretty fast. Brian will be home from Iraq in February and we will be meeting with Dr. K so he can discuss with both of us the complications involved in CF pregnancy. I have an open mind about this and if all else fails there is always the possibility of adoption! So not only do I have motivation to gain weight for my own health but also for our future child. So my goal is to get that 10 pound weight gain by the time he gets home! :)

5 comments:

  1. I'm so happy you started this blog!!
    i heard you were going back into the hospital, but i didn't know when or how you were doing.
    i'm so happy to hear you're feeling better already.
    hope to see you soon!
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww thank you Christine! I will see you Monday! Hope you have had a wonderful break!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i dont even begin to know what to say honey except *HUGE HUG* and i hate that i have to be in florida all the time, i would give anything to still be in NC so i could help you stay well........love ya girl, lots and lots~ Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to "meet" you lol. I have cf as well and I had a very healthy normal pregnancy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You will so have a baby! And he or she will be the most loved baby EVER!!! It sucks you're in the hospital again but it is for the best!! Gotta get ready for your LAST semester of REAL classes!! Anyway, I love ya and miss ya and hope to see you really soon!

    ReplyDelete