Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Diabetes and Feeding Tube

Well today is Tuesday and since I was admitted on Sunday night I feel like a new person already! It is amazing what a little tune-up can do for a CFer... But there was some bad news this time. I now have CFRD (Cystic Fibrosis Related Diabetes), which is very common in CF patients. My HA1c was 7.7 and you want it to be less than 5. My fasting blood sugar has been between 135 and 150, my non-fasting blood glucose since I have been in here has ranged from 198 to 366. Fasting blood sugar should be less than 100 and non-fasting should be less than 200. So they have started me on insulin, I have to give myself 3 shots a day before each meal. I know some people are scared to death of needles but when you have CF needles are a part of life ad you get use to it! You have no other choice between all the vaccines, blood tests, picc lines, IVs, and diabetic needles. So in my opinion a small little prick on my finger 3 x's a day and 3 shots into my abdomen, thigh, or arm 3 x's a day will be a piece of cake. Anything is better than being sick! This whole diabetes thing explains alot, it explains my huge weight loss over the past year and my frequent lung infections. So hopefully once I get my blood sugar under control, I can get my weight back up.

Speaking of weight, Dr. K came in to see me this afternoon. Dr. K is my main CF doctor who I love. He is one of the smartest doctors I've ever met and my favorite thing about him is he doesn't try to beat around the bush or tell you what you want to hear. He is honest even if it hurts. And him knowing I'm a pharmacy student he respects my opinions even more so and likes to hear my input. He isn't afraid to step on my toes or put a scare in me. I also LOVE his Nurse Practioner, she is wonderful and does everything she can for me. I have never felt so comfortable about a team of doctors as I do here at Duke. They are great and know what they are doing. I may be a Carolina fan at heart, but when it comes to my health, DUKE is #1!! Duke is the reason I am alive today, along with the support of my friends and family! No matter what you do for yourself, if you don't have a great team of doctors and a support system you can only go so far.

Anyways, back to my weight and the honesty of Dr. K. He came into my hospital room and sat on my bed and looked down at me from the top of his glasses and said, "you are too damn thin!" He then went on to tell me that a feeding tube would be in my best interest. He tends to joke alot, but I knew this wasn't a Dr. K joke. So I just kind of looked at him with a blank stare. I didn't know what to say because a feeding tube just sounds horrible to me on so many different levels. The shallow part of me just thinks about the cosmetic aspect. I am obsessed with shopping and buying clothes, and a cute top with a tube hanging out of your belly "just ain't cute!" Other things I worry about are infection, pain, and inconvenience of it all. Dr. K knows me all too well, and says "I can already guess what you are going to say." And he proceeds to tell me that "you wouldn't find it cosmetically appealing as a female." Yup he hit the nail on the head, and I looked at him and told him that was 80% of it. He then said, "well I like your honesty and I am going to make a deal with you. If you can gain 10 pounds in 10 weeks there will be no feeding tube." I quickly took him up on his offer!

So for the next 10 weeks I not only need to stay away from germs, and increase my exercise but I have to get this diabetes under control and gain some weight!! I know people think it sounds so easy to gain weight, but when you have CF it can be quite a chore! So I'm gonna try as hard as I can to incorperate >2500 calories/day, exercise, medication compliance (which isn't a problem for me), my vest, and breathing exercises into my everyday pharmacy school routine. Pharmacy school is tough enough without the stress of CF, but I'm not complaining! Because becoming a pharmacist has been my dream since I was 16 years old. And working in the health care field has been my dream since I was a child.

No comments:

Post a Comment